Mark Hughes full of praise for 'outstanding manager' Arsene Wenger

Antworten
chanoudom

Beitrag von chanoudom » So 8. Apr 2018, 05:15

Bild

sbo666 Despite revealing his admiration for the Gunners' boss, the Southampton manager hopes to cause an upset at the Emirates

Mark Hughes believes Arsene Wenger has done a "remarkable job" at Arsenal, even if the pair have not always seen eye-to-eye in the past.

Hughes takes struggling Southampton to the Emirates Stadium on Sunday desperate for a positive result as they bid to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The Welshman has clashed at times with his Arsenal counterpart down the years, including one incident in 2009, when Wenger opted not to shake his fellow manager's hand following a 3-0 defeat to Hughes' Manchester City side.

However, while admitting the rivalry with the Frenchman did "get a little bit silly" in the past, Hughes is still full of praise for the longest-serving manager currently in England's top flight.

"He's done a remarkable job. He's an outstanding manager and has been for a huge number of years," he said.

"I'm a manager as well so I know how difficult it is to have longevity in your career, and he trumps me by about 10-15 years, so he's not doing bad. sbo666

"I've got the utmost respect for Arsene. Don't get me wrong, he wants to win and so do I and sometimes we probably get a little bit silly, but there you go.

"[It is] not always on my instigation, by the way.""I'm a manager as well so I know how difficult it is to have longevity in your career, and he trumps me by about 10-15 years, so he's not doing bad.

"I've got the utmost respect for Arsene. Don't get me wrong, he wants to win and so do I and sometimes we probably get a little bit silly, but there you go.

"[It is] not always on my instigation, by the way."

Hughes only took charge of Southampton in the middle of March following the departure of Mauricio Pellegrino, signing a deal until the end of the season.

He steered them to the semi-finals of the FA Cup with victory over Wigan Athletic in his first game in charge but lost 3-0 at West Ham in his only league outing at the helm.

Southampton sit three points behind 17th-placed Crystal Palace with seven games to play, and they still have Chelsea and Manchester City to play during a tricky run-in. sbo666

chanoudom

England World Cup Watch: How Gareth Southgate's hopefuls fared in the Premier League

Beitrag von chanoudom » Di 1. Mai 2018, 13:33

England World Cup Watch: How Gareth Southgate's hopefuls fared in the Premier League

Bild

สมัคร sbobet With less than a month to go until Gareth Southgate names his squad for the World Cup in Russia, we look at how his England hopefuls got on this weekend. Southgate has until May 14 to give England's 35-man provisional squad to FIFA and needs to whittle it down to 23 by June 4 - two days after England's next friendly against Nigeria.

Liverpool 0-0 Stoke
Trent Alexander-Arnold started positively in a new role for Liverpool on the right of midfield. However, after suffering a dead leg his influence faded and he was replaced after 65 minutes. Jordan Henderson managed to complete the game after an injury scare in the first half when he twisted his ankle. Joe Gomez was solid enough in defence but failed to make much of an impact going forward down the right side.

Burnley 0-0 Brighton
It was a successful afternoon for Burnley's England internationals involved. Nick Pope and James Tarkowski both kept the Brighton attack at bay. Brighton's Glenn Murray may not have done much to impress Southgate. He struggled to make a significant impact off the bench and picked up a yellow card.

Huddersfield 0-2 Everton
Jordan Pickford had a relatively quiet afternoon's work at the John Smith's Stadium, with the England international keeping what must surely be one of his easiest clean sheets of the season. Meanwhile, left-back Leighton Baines produced another accomplished display for his side, reminding Southgate that even at 33, he still has much to offer in that role after creating the visitors' second, the 82nd Everton goal he has been involved in in the top flight. สมัคร sbobet

Newcastle 0-1 West Brom
Jake Livermore was quick and alert to lay on the winning goal for Matt Phillips, and he could have had another assist had Salomon Rondon converted another chance in the second half. However, you could argue Livermore's selfless defensive performance further strengthened his claim to be on the plane to Russia.

Southampton 2-1 Bournemouth
Ryan Bertrand will count his lucky stars that his poor miss in the second half did not prove costly. Both he and Nathan Redmond actually had rather quiet afternoons down the left flank, with Dusan Tadic hogging the limelight on the right. Lewis Cook had one speculative effort for Bournemouth, but otherwise had little effect on the result

Swansea 0-1 Chelsea
Alfie Mawson could have cost Swansea with an own goal, but despite the nervy moment, he put in a solid performance for the remainder of the game. Gary Cahill also did well at the other end, helping Chelsea to keep a clean sheet and producing some vital blocks when needed

West Ham 1-4 Man City
Joe Hart was ineligible to play against his parent club but, with Man City scoring four goals, his World Cup hopes were arguably strengthened by being absent.

Man Utd 2-1 Arsenal
Ashley Young impressed at left-back for United, setting up the winner for Marouane Fellaini with a trademark delivery from deep, while Chris Smalling was nothing more than solid. Elsewhere for the hosts, Jesse Lingard was largely ineffective before being substituted after the hour mark.

Tottenham 2-0 Watford
It was a case of Job done for Dele Alli, as the midfielder ended a run of 10 home league appearances without a goal by profiting from Ornestis Karnezis' mistake. Watford's defence did well to keep Alli on the periphery of the game, but it is a good sign for England if he is still scoring when appearing to be keeping plenty of energy in reserve. สมัคร sbobet

Antworten